Monday, January 9, 2012

Climate Change and its Unsightly Side Effects

In the midst of my 12th January in the Gunnison Valley, I saw something I don't believe I've ever seen before: a turd towering over the trace of snow in my graveled yard.

This is depressing in so many ways. First, it's JANUARY! Second, my skis are still covered with a layer of 100-year-old shed dust. Third, climate change is obviously a real and threatening situation. Lastly, I'm going to have to pick that turd up eventually.

I feel like my husband and I jinxed Father Winter. We've been abnormally on top of doodie duty. Usually we just give up in November, and spend all of March chiseling poop out of frozen banks. This year, each time there was snow in the forecast and turds visible in the yard, one of us got the poop pickers out.

If we had left our pooh, would there be three feet of snow?

There are a few piles out there now.

I vow to you, that, no matter how much I want to pick them up, I will leave those steamers out there to freeze until March. In hopes of snow.

(Insert snow shuffle segment here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment