Saturday, November 20, 2010

Quality of Life vs. Bank Account Figures

After 10 years in the Gunnison Valley, I find myself loving life here more every day. Although eeking out a living is difficult, the benefits of mountain life far outweigh the struggle of financial survival.


Growing up in a city had its advantages...I suppose: a choice of top private schools, various educational activities, clubs and organized sports, and let's not forget movie theatres and shopping malls. But what it didn't have, which I now find more important than anything, the GREAT OUTDOORS.

Rock climbing, snowboarding, backpacking, rafting, skiing and hiking make malls and movies pale in comparison. City things can be found in any city...but mountains, those aren't everywhere. I feel lucky to live in a place where peaks and rivers rule the unique description of existence.


My kids will probably not go to private schools, zoos, or matinees, but they will guide rafts, summit peaks and challenge themselves.

 

For me, that's worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree 100%-why I have made this my home for 18 years and counting! Thanks for the reminder. Now bring on the white fluffy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true, linds! i can never imagine going back to the north east, when we have this big wild, wild, west in our backyards!

    ReplyDelete